- July 27, 2017
- Posted by: Ilan Adler
- Category: Uncategorized
As more and more organizations today turn to Splunk for their log management and monitoring capabilities, deploying large scale Splunk environments has gotten more and more time consuming. In turn this wastes precious engineering resources, as more and more of these resources are used for manual actions.
In this on-demand webinar, Risk Focus, noted experts in Trading, Risk Management & Cloud Transformation, tackle the subject, and explain how they are leveraging cloud orchestration to automate this.
They explain why automation is not only the fast way to do this, but also why using automation for these splunk deployments also offers enhanced security, and is way less prone to human errors. We discuss some of the challenges that Splunk adaption leaves us with, especially in terms of scalability.
Also discussed is a real life use case, where one of the largest banks in North America is using this solution to create massive amounts of log data, which helps ensure that they are compliant with its internal security regulations, auditing trails, meeting retention requirements for ephemeral infrastructure, along with creating accessible log backups. This use case is already being used at the bank, provisioning over 12,000 VM’s, all of which are monitored by Splunk in the cloud service layer.
We cover our belief that Splunk can be treated in the same way that infrastructure as code, and how this methodology can change the way you deploy splunk or any other application at scale.
Some of the questions and topics that are discussed include:
- Did this deployment include Splunk Enterprise Security, if so, what were the challenges compared to Splunk Core?
- How did you separate the system based Apps vs. user based Apps/config and yet keep it all under version control?
- Are Splunk upgrades handled through the same level of automation?
- Are there plans to support other clouds or containers?
- How is Cloudify different from any cloud orchestration solution?
- How was autoscaling configured? Is Cloudify doing it?
- Is the Salt configuration triggered from within Cloudify via plugins, or some other way?
- Have you implemented Cloudify in a Hybrid Cloud Environment? If yes, what kind of challenges have you faced?
Register below to watch this webinar on demand! Registrants also receive a example blueprint which can be used with Cloudify for evaluating how this Splunk automation is actually used.
We also learned from our audience how many are already using Splunk or planning to use it in the future, that 16% of our viewers are already using the machine learning capabilities of Splunk, what the primary use-case for Splunk is (log aggregation reigns supreme), and how many people have a multi-node Splunk cluster.
Register to watch
This webinar is part of our webinar series. Our webinar series tackles everything from using Cloudify for rapidly deploying data intensive applications, using Cloudify orchestration as part of an Open vCPE solution, moving software architecture from monolithic to microservices oriented design, and even orchestration in the age of edge computing. Feel free to watch any of our previous webinars “on-demand” here, and be sure to register for future webinars.