The future of networking is high performance software on white box servers, just as we’ve already seen with examples such as cell phones and computers. The combination of 6WIND and Cloudify brings the promise of white box networking with a ready-to-use vRouter that can displace expensive networking hardware to save Network Operator budgets today.
NFV Orchestration Solutions
NFV Orchestration is the operational and functional processes involved in designing, creating, and delivering a virtualized network service and supporting the full life-cycle management of it.
Cloudify Open Orchestration Framework was designed from the ground up on principles of openness to power the IT and Telco transformation revolution – enabling organizations to design, build and deliver core business applications and network services more economically, without compromising on IT simplicity.
- VNF & Service Modeling – VNF modeling enables you to describe the complete network service with all its resources: infrastructure, functions, service chaining, application code, scripts, configuration management, metrics, and policies, in a generic, descriptive language based on TOSCA and the Cloudify DSL.
- Orchestration and Workflows– The Orchestration is the core of the Cloudify Platform, It enables you to maintain the complete life cycle of the service, from onboarding and instantiation to operations such as scaling, healing, maintenance, updates, and termination.
- Pluggability – Pluggability is one of the core, unique features of Cloudify. It provides reusable components abstraction for the system. You can model anything that you want in a descriptive language, for example, IaaS, clouds, configuration management tools, SDN components, NFV components, and so on. Cloudify includes a number of officially supported out-of-the-box plugins, but you can also build your own.
- Security – Security, in the context of a Cloudify Manager, means securing communication with the Cloudify Manager and controlling who has permissions to use it to execute various operations. Secured communication is achieved using SSL, which enables clients to validate the authenticity of the Cloudify Manager, and to ensure that the data sent to and from it is encrypted.
- Native Cloud Experience – An abstraction layer provides access to a full set of features for each cloud environment.
- Cloud Portability – Cloudify’s agnostic technology frees businesses from vendor lock-in for greater flexibility.
- Faster App Roll-out – Lifecycle automation shortens deployment time from days to minutes.
- Cost Efficient – Manage costs and optimize cloud usage, from start to finish, with the Cloudify Management Console.
Cloudify, a pure play orchestration solution based on the ARIA TOSCA project, has seen strong uptake and is considered a “very strong” contender in the NFV MANO category.
Cloudify provides a comprehensive offering that ties Versa’s broad set of VNFs into a full NFV architecture through NFVO and MANO.
Cloudify’s approach supports both physical network functions and VNFs—in software. This enables operators to optimize existing technologies while migrating toward the benefits of automation and DevOps best practices without having to discard existing technology investments.
The biggest obstacle to achieving the full potential of NFV is the lack of maturity in the operational automation capabilities of the OSS toolchain. Our integration with Cloudify simplifies and accelerates lifecycle management automation, giving carriers faster, error-free operational management of their cloud-based virtual network infrastructures.
NFV is fundamentally changing the way communications services are provided, and Partner is pleased to be leading the way in our market. Our decision to use Cloudify with VMware vCloud NFV to drive our NFV adoption process dramatically shortened our time to market with the V-NET platform.
Operators and vendors alike agree that NFV and SDN provide the means to enable this transition. However, the majority of operators have just started their journey. We recognize there are several approaches to NFV and SDN, and the technology will continue to evolve. NetNumber is working with Cloudify to ensure interoperability of our TITAN platform and virtualization applications with any virtual environment our customers may require.
NFV adoption is a key component of our strategy for digital transformation, and Cloudify is helping us transform from traditional to virtualised networks that are simpler to operate, cost less to maintain and enable us to deliver better customer experiences.
NFV-O and VNF-M
Cloudify Orchestration Framework is designed to fit perfectly as an NFV-O and a generic VNF-M.
Network functions, virtual or physical are modeled using the TOSCA language and on-boarded to Cloudify, Cloudify Model Driven Design allows operators to easily build VNF descriptors (VNFD) and Network Service Descriptors (NSD) and manage the complete lifecycle of any network service. Cloudify Pluggable Architecture and the Plugin Framework makes integration to multiple VIMs and other platforms such as SDN Controllers, 3rd party VNF-Ms or hardware based system an easy and painless process.